This site creates a bridge and needed functions for members of TAFA: The Textile and Fiber Art List (TAFAList) and Artizan Made. It offers three main areas where members can share and connect: Uploads, Forum and Events (Coming Soon). They are each run by separate designers and hopefully will play nicely with each other. Originally, the forum and events were meant for TAFA’s site, but after much aggravation and despair due to plugin conflicts, I decided to set them up on this separate space and include Artizan in the mix.
Click on the logo at the top to reach the home page.
This is the site’s theme design and offers our members the opportunity to share content in an attractive way. Supported content includes images, video and audio.
- Contact me to be added as an user: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once you are in, you will see your name on the top right corner. Click on it and a menu will drop. Click on Profile Settings and add info on yourself. This will show up with some of your posts.
- Click on the red Upload button in the top right to load content.
- Share your work or content of interest to the handmade community. This is not the place to share photos of your dog, cat, smiling babies, flowers, etc. UNLESS they are sitting on or holding your work. Promote yourself, share business tips, videos about our industry, etc.
- Videos: You can do an upload or just paste a link in the text area. Create a screen shot image to add as the featured image. If you don’t, the post will look boring.
- Categories and Tags: The theme only allows you to pick one category so I kept them very general. Spread things around in different ones so that they show up in more than one place. You can add as many tags as you need, but try to use ones that have already been used so that there can be groupings that make sense. The most used ones will show up in the sidebar and I will create a few pages with tag results once there is enough content to pull from them.
- To edit your content: When you are logged in you will see a little pencil on your items. Click on that to edit.
- To follow someone: Click on their name on a post and it will take you to their profile where you can follow them.
This is a separate plugin and here you can create groups around a topic and have discussions and sharing. You can also share your work here, but it will not be as visible as the upload section. The forums are best for talking about techniques, helping each other out, and discussing what is going on in our community. Love dogs, cats, babies, recipes and flowers? Sure. Here you can create a group around a common interest. Before creating a new group, check to see if one has already been created.
How it works: When you create a group you have an area inside of it for group forums. For example, let’s say you want to have a group dedicated to eco or botanical dyeing. Click on Groups and you will see that you can see your groups or create a new one. When you create a new group, you will have to click through several settings including loading an image for the thumbnail and a banner. You can create topics to keep discussions organized. You could have one each for indigo, veggie dyes, natural mordants, silk, cotton, wool, tools and whatever topics you eco-dyers talk about. When you land on that group, the first page will have a running thread of the latest activity. The topics will be inside with a page of links showing all the topics.
Forum Members: Since this operates independently from the Upload area, you will have a separate profile here and you will have to follow people here, too.
Secret Groups: You can create secret groups and invite specific people to it. This can be useful if you are working on a project together or if you need support on an issue.
I am not big on rules. We are adults and all members are expected to treat each other respectfully. Both TAFA and Artizan are family friendly sites with an international audience. Visualize your Mom, a 14 year old, a Quaker and an art student in Iran (we do have a following there!) looking at the site and post accordingly. Be kind. The world is a mess and if we do end up having issues, they will be dealt with as they come up.
“For attractive lips, speak words of kindness.
For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day.
For poise, walk with the knowledge you’ll never walk alone.
We leave you a tradition with a future.
The tender loving care of human beings will never become obsolete.
People even more than things have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed and redeemed and redeemed and redeemed.
Never throw out anybody.
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you’ll find one at the end of your arm.
As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands: one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.
Your “good old days” are still ahead of you, may you have many of them.”
― Sam Levenson,
Leave them in the comments and they will get answered!